Friday, January 26, 2007

Banned Goods: What We Can't Buy

January 26, 2007

"There's always going to be some necessity that you never knew you needed, but you absolutely can't live without." - Ron Ponpeiel, 1982, Chicago History Museum

This list is an ongoing attempt to keep track of the "necessities" we had to do without this year:

1) An brand new exercise ball for physical therapy

2) Garlic. Or at least not the garlic we used to buy at Harvestime. It is made in China.

3) Sweaters from Express, and just about every other store we've visited.

4) A new cordless phone. The ones we've looked at, the ones we've schlepped all over the place to try and find in our price range, are made in China.

5) A body puff for making body wash last longer. Currently we share the same one which does not please me. Some things are not meant to be shared and we did not realize that buying a body puff would be a problem when we saw the great sale on Dove body wash, which was cheaper than bar soap.

February 22

6) The bedding from the Holiday Inn Express. Okay, realistically, I probably never would have purchased this anyway, but it is the most comfortable hotel bedding I've ever experienced. The down comforter at least, was made in China. I don't know where the sheets and pillow cases were made.

7) Hair accessories. There was a "buy one get one" sale on Goody hair clips and such at a local drug store. These kind of sales always get my attention, even if, sometimes especially if, I don't need the product. It makes sense really...why not have twice as much of something you don't need. Isn't that patriotic? They were made in China. All of them. They are still in the store. Apparently, they used to be made in America, as evidenced by the old Goody hair products packaging my mom had around the house.

8) Flooring for my old bedroom. The flooring I agreed to pay for is made in China. Crap!

March 13

9) Most of the trinkets sold at the Brookfield Zoo. This is the first time I have to admit to someone as they stand next to me, that I can't buy something. It was an uncomfortable experience!

March 14

10) Luke wants to buy a CD organizer so he is better able to sort through stuff for our move. Every single one we've found is made in China.

11) Laser pointers for our cats. We are looking for the kind that take AAA or larger batteries. I think that the cats might get their laser pointer workout next year.

2 comments:

wonderturtle said...

Thank you for clarifying what a body puff is for. ;)

Cantankerous Consumer said...

Due to the ridiculous volume of stuff I "can't buy", I've abandoned this continual update, but hopefully you will enjoy reading my blog enough to see what else is forbidden.