Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Thank you Julie!


Sometimes inspiration comes in mysterious ways.

My inspiration to carry on with this questionably effective act of rebellion came in the form of a maraca.

Who knew maracas were made in China? Why do I continue to be surprised by where things are made?

My best friend delivered this cheap plastic (?) object to me when we met for dinner. The object was a parting party favor from Julie. Unfortunately I was not invited to the party, but I will attribute this oversight to the fact that I live a time zone away.

At any rate, Julie, who apparently reads this blog but does not leave comments, thought I would enjoy this subtle reminder that everything is made in China.

I must admit, had I not been informed that this was a Mexican themed party, I would have had to struggle to identify this object, as it looks far more like an old fashioned colored Christmas light bulb, the kind you screw in to a large metal socket. What separated the maraca from the light bulb was the oddly shaped pseudo-wooden handle projecting out of the base.

I tried to shake the weird green and brown object, to see if it made noise, and it fell apart in my hands.

If Krazy Glue isn't banned, maybe I will adhere the two pieces better so it will be easier for others to discern what it is.

In the meantime, the plastic, made in China maraca sits on my dresser as a reminder that I may not be changing the world, but some where people are reading this and at least having an elevated awareness about where their purchases and party toys are made.

Thanks for the inspiration Julie.

(When I move back to your time zone, do I get invited to the next party?)

1 comment:

wonderturtle said...

You betcha, sister!