Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Environmentally Friendly?

Before we moved, we decided that we were going to give these newfangled "environmentally friendly light bulbs" a shot. We justified the additional expense because they are supposed to outlast traditional light bulbs by several years, a savings for the environment and my wallet! How win-win!

I imagine this is the reason must people switch to these light bulbs, as it seems unlikely to me that friends and neighbors actually inquire about the types of light bulbs one uses; and until light bulbs come brandished with some easy to identify label, symbol or one word logo, only the really curious or really nosey visitors will be able to identify what is illuminating your living space.

I installed the light bulb and was instantly converted by the indoor sunshine radiating from our hallway lamp. It was like a rare sunny day in Chicago in the midst of winter! I wanted to buy dozens of them and give them as gifts to everyone who suffers from lack of sun or joy in their lives. Luke, who was nearly blinded by the new light source, was less enthusiastic.

For some ridiculous reason, I made a flippant remark about how it was a good thing we did not check where these bulbs were made. Perhaps it was out of curiosity (or spite) Luke leaped to the kitchen garbage can and eagerly scanned the discarded packaging.

Back to Walgreens went the light bulbs.

I've been on a vendetta, er, mission, ever since, to find "environmentally friendly light bulbs" which are made anywhere but in China. Visits to Lowe's, Home Depot, grocery stores, pharmacies, all have proved a failure.

Will someone, anyone, please explain to me how it is "environmentally friendly" to produce light bulbs halfway around the world and then consume massive amounts of fossil fuels and other natural resources to ship them to retailers all across America?

Will someone please explain to me why it is only the "environmentally friendly" light bulbs that are made in China? Regular light bulbs are still made somewhere in America.

What, exactly, does the term, "environmentally friendly" mean, anyway? Whose environment are we being friendly to in the first place? China does not have the environmental protection laws that we have here, so is there a chance that we are unwittingly buy a "green product" that blackens the Chinese environment?

Why else aren't these light bulbs made in America? It would seem the most "green" to me to make products as close to home as possible.

While I wait for answers, I dwell in a basement which would be far more invigorating if it were illuminated by the "environmentally friendly" natural sunshine in a light bulb!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I applaud your effort at not buying made in china. I've been looking at the "made in" labels for about 15 years to ensure I didn't buy "made in china" by accident. I've been a very strong anti-communist since about 1970 when I joined the John Birch Society. It became such a habit to check the label that it's 2nd nature to me. Yeah, I don't have the latest gadgets but I just turned 60 and don't care about them. I have to say the first thing that I bought "made in china" was a flat panel monitor that came with my HP computer I bought about 4 months ago. For the last 10 ,11 years I've been able to buy over the internet to get made in usa stuff. Now I usually have settle for made in Mexico, or assembled in USA.
About the light bulbs, until about a year ago I bought "Lights of America" fluorescent bulbs, now they're China.However I still get Philips fluorescents, assembled in Mexico. Have to look at each package since Phillips also uses China.

Good Luck,
Roger

Cantankerous Consumer said...

Roger,

Thank you very much for your post. It is always encouraging to know that people have made this work for so many years. I get so frustrated sometimes and wonder why I'm doing this. Post like this help boost my resolve.

I do have a question though, how do you buy shoes? That has been my biggest, or most re-occurring headache.

Anonymous said...

It's a pity that your rules are so strict. I looked at my lights because I remembered that they were made by an I talian company called Mirabella but when I looked at the packing they came in " Made in China" was the bad news for you.

Anonymous said...

I wear steel toe shoes. I neeeded them in my work, however they are so comfortable that I wear them most of the time, they are Carolina's. My wife and I just bought New Balance sneakers not
long also Made in US. I use google alot when searching for "made in the usa"or "assembled in the USA". Doesn't always help but often does.

statuskuo said...

I first heard of your blog through a family member who mentioned the concept of boycotting goods made in China for a year. We were acquainted with the book where the author bought nothing for a year (you mention it in an earlier post) and although we're not anti-capitalistic we try to be anti-affluenzitic (but that's another story). When I first heard of your idea I thought of light bulbs being a problem...
Regarding shoes: New Balance yes, but to find shoes not made in the USA: you may discover you will have to pay more (sometimes much much more), and look for shoes from Europe (spain, italy). If it's any consolation, if shoes are well made, they last longer, so spending more for something that goes a longer way actually is helpful. The downside might be you feel your selection is severely limited, but the upside is that the europeons do make some very fashionable (and sometimes comfortable, if we're not talking 3.5 inch stilettos) shoes.

Cantankerous Consumer said...

Christine,
Thank you for reading my blog. I'm honored that you heard about this through a family member, especially since my family seems to think I'm nuts.
Any ideas on where to find sneakers not made in China? Anything above a half inch is too high for me, so not being able to buy European made stilettos is fine with me.

statuskuo said...

Regarding sneakers-not-made-in-China: if they are for high-impact activity, other than New Balance, you probably will have to shop around (look inside the sneaker). Sometimes there are shoes made in Vietnam/Korea/Thailand/Indonesia/Philippines.
(which falls outside your boycott, but maybe not the spirit of your boycott). I know I've owned a pair of Adidas trail runners that were made in Thailand before. I don't know your style or price range, but if you meant jack purcell converse-style sneakers (the retro sort) if you find pairs on eBay made before 2000 they were supposedly made in the USA. There are also the Adbusters' Blackspot sneakers (made in Portugal), and retro looking ones they sell on the Sundance catalog (also from Portugal). They're not what I'd call aerobics or cross-training footwear though. If you're looking for more styles but the product line are ALL not-made-in-Asia, well if you don't mind shopping vegan goods, look for the brand "Vegetarian Shoes". They're from the UK and they make different styles sold through some US retailers, and everything is made in European or English factories. They have some..."trainers." ;)

hope this post wasn't entirely worthless, but I agree, it's difficult.

Cantankerous Consumer said...

Christine,
Thank you for this information! Buying shoes has been remarkably difficult and these resources will help alleviate that. Yes, buying from other, often poorer, countries, does violate the spirit of the boycott, I confess to many moments fo sheer frustration, anger and just not caring where my new gadget comes from as long as it's not made in China. Ideally everything that we buy would be made in America, but I lack the stamina for that right now.

Anonymous said...

I am the sort of guy who passions to try new stuff. Currently I am fabricating my hold pv panels. I'm doing it all alone without the help of my staff. I'm utilizing the net as the only path to acheive that. I encountered a really awesome site that explains how to make solar panels and so on. The site explains all the steps required to solar panel construction.

I am not sure bout how accurate the data given there is. If some guys over here who had experience with these things can have a look and give your feedback in the page it will be awesome and I'd highly treasure it, cauze I extremely would love to try solar panel construction.

Tnx for reading this. U people are great.