Friday, February 23, 2007

A Flooring Dilema


Today I was feeling particularly frustrated by this f'ing boycott.

When I first brainstormed this idea, I never planned on buying major household items, which seem to almost exclusively be made in China.

Things have changed in a few short weeks and I promised my mom I would pay for the flooring in my old bedroom. It dawned on me today that it is made in China.

This wasn't such a big deal when she was paying for it (and my bedroom was not going to be re-floored) but now, purchasing the flooring would be another violation of my self-imposed ban.

We tried to find something that wasn't made in China and was along the lines of what we were looking for. It wasn't happening.

How on earth can it be more cost effective to import laminate like flooring all the way from China? The boxes are ridiculously heavy!

Perhaps it isn't just about being cheaper. I imagine China's environmental laws are considerably more lax than American laws.

Oy vey! Maybe we will have to go with carpeting instead. No one seems to know where that is made, not even the knowledgeable staff at Lowe's.

I felt all the emotions I've talked about well up inside me. Again, I wanted to give up this idea, I mean, it is one thing to have my principles, but another thing when they effect someone else's home.

I don't know what I will do about the flooring yet, but dinner with my best friend, and a gift from Julie, helped put some things in perspective.

No comments: